Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tourist

Being a tourist trying to take-in and absorb as much about the place we are visiting can be difficult to accomplish fully. Sometimes it comes together in a collage of things all at once, on one level, all together. Lately I have been listening to the Quiet American (Aaron Ximm)and his superb recordings of sounds made into collages(my words - not his). I can identify with them easily, even though I have not visited in person any of the places he has recorded, and yet I feel I am there while listening.

Hard to explain, but every now and again, usually involving a window with it's transparency and reflections, an image comes to me that explains my visit somewhere. This particular image was made on a visit to Manhattan, specifically the financial district of downtown Manhattan. The more I think about this image and my memories of the trip, the Quiet American's way of using sounds helps me remember many of the sounds from my trip enriching my memories that much more.
[Fuji F10]

No comments:

Copyright

All images copyright Collin Orthner (c) 2007-2009 All Rights Reserved