Thursday, July 31, 2008

Evening Light


My good friend Dwight was kind enough to point me in the direction of these beautiful red flowers growing alongside a slough just a few kilometers from Red Deer. I have no idea what they are and have gone through all my wildflower books with no success and suspect that maybe they aren't wildflowers at all but escapees from a nearby garden. [Update: August 18 - I found out these are really escapees from a local garden called different common names such as Star of Jerusalem or Maltese Cross. Scientifically they are known as Lychnis chalcedonica] I arrived with about ten minutes of sunlight left with the sun skimming the flowers and grasses.



As the cool of the evening took over from the heat of the day the reds of these flowers seemed to glow in the fading light.



And then the mosquitoes came out en mass which convinced me it was time to vacate the area.
[Canon 5D, 16-35mmL, 24mm Nikkor]

No comments:

Copyright

All images copyright Collin Orthner (c) 2007-2009 All Rights Reserved